A common sentence for past as well as present subjunctive.

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
Hello Friends,

If I wanted to express my imaginations both in past as well as in present ; say :

1) I would have been a millionaire if I had been a singer.{Past subjunctive}
2) I would be a millionare if I were a singer.{Present Subjunctive}

How would a common sentence be used for them?
How would they differ, if they did?

Any help will be great!

Sau........

• JamesM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "How would a common sentence be used for them?" Are you asking how the past and present subjunctives are commonly used, or are you asking if these sentences are commonly used, or something else?

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "How would a common sentence be used for them?" Are you asking how the past and present subjunctives are commonly used:tick: ,or are you asking if these sentences are commonly used, or something else?
    I'm sorry if I 've not been able to express what's on my mind to ask.:)
    Sau....

JamesM

They are fairly common. I think the more education one has been given, the more likely one will be to use them. The present subjunctive is more common, I would say, in American English than the past subjunctive but both are used.

It's a fairly broad question, Saurabh. Do you have any specific question or some example that concerns you?

For example, let's say someone narrowly missed being hit by a car. That person might say:

"Had I been six inches closer, I would be dead now."

That would not be unusual in casual conversational English here in the U.S.

"Had you given me some warning, I might have been ready on time."
    "If I were any taller, I'd have to duck to get through these doors."
    "If you were in the mood for a good steak, where would you go?"

These are all common uses of the construction. There are thousands, so it's difficult to figure out what you mght want to know about them.

< Previous | Next >