A comparative study of the Georgio-Russian conflict in the Russian and British press.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by tgb123, Jan 14, 2009.

1. tgb123 New Member

Bristol, England
    English/Welsh
    I have written an essay title in Russian as follows:

'Сравнительная учёба грузино-русского конфликта в русской и британской средстве массовой информации.'

Does this make sense? I was hoping to say:

'A comparative study of the Georgio-Russian conflict in the Russian and British press.'

Should 'русской' and 'британской' have plural adjective endings? I am trying to express that I will be studying both evidence from both the Russian and the British press.

Your help will be much appreciated!

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Русский refers to the nation, not to the state.
    Учеба means "training", but you need "study" - изучение.
    However изучение is implied, as well as сравнение.

Therefore I'd suggest:
    Отражение грузино-российского конфликта в российских и британских средствах массовой информации.

But средства массовой информации is a wider concept than "the press" and means "mass media" while you obviously have in mind the press only. If this is the case, then:

Отражение грузино-российского конфликта в российской и британской печати.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. tgb123 New Member

Bristol, England
    English/Welsh
    Thank you, this has cleared my misunderstanding. Much appreciated.

4. Kolan Banned

Montréal (Québec)
    Russian (CCCP)
    'A comparative study of the Georgio-Russian conflict in the Russian and British press.'

The translation has to be amended, because it is not отражение:

Сравнительное изучение грузино-русского конфликта по материалам российской (печати) и британской прессы.

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Well, in the end it's just a matter of style. I'm sure content of both studies - mine and yours - will be quite the same, and on my point of view no need to write "Ambulance motor car" on the ambulance motor car, for anyone can see it's not a cart. Only "Ambulance" is important.
    The less words in the title, the more chances one reads something save of the title.

6. Kolan Banned

Montréal (Québec)
    Russian (CCCP)
    That's true, however, it is entirely applicable only to the original text in the source language. Just because the notion of "отражение" does not bear "comparative". The author did not save much on the title. The translation would also depend on whether it is an academic title or just vulgar press.