A comparison between "dull", "dismal" and "gloomy"

< Previous | Next >

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
The synonymous words dull, dismal and gloomy have so much overlaps that I truly cannot distinguish them from the feedback viewpoint that can form in a natuve speaker's mind!

For instance, I was windering if you could help me to differentiate between the following sentences:
1-1- This is a dull day/sky.
1-2- This is a gloomy day/sky.
1-3- This is a dismal day/sky.
Or
2-1- He's a dull person.
2-2- He's a gloomy person.
2-3- He's a dismal person.
Please let me know how the above sentences differ in meaning?
Meanwhile, I need to know where they can not be used in each others' places?

• reno33

English - USA
    1-1- This is a dull day/sky.---------> implies clouds, no sun, no action, dead
    1-2- This is a gloomy day/sky.--------implies dark, bad mood, no smiles, unfriendly
    1-3- This is a dismal day/sky. --------->implies bad news, bad fortune, unhappy, suicidal

For people, almost the same.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    1-1- This is a dull day/sky.---------> implies clouds, no sun, no action, dead
    1-2- This is a gloomy day/sky.--------implies dark, bad mood, no smiles, unfriendly
    1-3- This is a dismal day/sky. --------->implies bad news, bad fortune, unhappy, suicidal

For people, almost the same.
    Thank you; but what they would mean when they allude to a person?

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    As I said, when applied to people, they mean almost the same thing,
    I mean would it mean "depressed" or "unfriendly" or "unpleasant" or "boring" or "overwhelming" or "sad" or "hopeless" or "disperate" or so many other meanings that may cross a non-native English speaker's mind by reading a simple dictionary definition...

Meanwhile, I need to know if i.e. "dismal" attributed to an individual would sound informal to a native person.

Last edited:

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    For instance
    As I said, when applied to people, they mean almost the same thing,
    For some unknown reasons the two expressions: "a dull day/sky/weather" and "a gloomy day/sky/weathe" mean exactly the same thing to me, but I cannot explain the reason. :D

reno33

English - USA
    Well, they're almost the same. To me, dull includes "boring".....while gloomy includes "sadness".....but not everyone will agree. It's like cute/pretty.....almost the same....what's the difference?? Imperceptible and it means different things to different people.

< Previous | Next >