a comparison or comparisons

meijin

Japanese
Hi, if I had been wondering which of two products (e.g. medications) I should buy, had gone to the store and compared various factors between the two products (e.g. prices, number of pills inside, claimed efficacy, possible side effects), and then had bought either of them, would it be appropriate to say "I did some comparisons at the store before buying it"? Or should it be "I did a comparison at the store before buying it"?

I could probably just say
"I compared the products at the store before buying it", but what I'd like to know in this thread is if each of the things I did at the store before making the decision should be considered a countable, one comparison (between prices, etc.) or if they as a whole should be considered one comparison (between the two products).

• lingobingo

English - England
    It's also fine to talk about comparing two products — this would be understood to mean you compared various aspects of them.

meijin

Japanese
    Yes, I think "I did/made a comparison between the two products" (not sure if the preposition should be "of") would still suggest that the speaker made some comparisons of/between various aspects.

lingobingo

English - England
    That's an unnecessarily complicated way of saying "I compared the two products". But if you really want to put it that way, I would suggest "make" a comparison "between" the two.

meijin

Japanese
    That's an unnecessarily complicated way of saying "I compared the two products".
    Yes, I wouldn't say the complicated version myself. I only used it to fulfill the purpose of the thread.

I could probably just say "I compared the products at the store before buying it", but what I'd like to know in this thread is if each of the things I did at the store before making the decision should be considered a countable, one comparison (between prices, etc.) or if they as a whole should be considered one comparison (between the two products).

lingobingo

English - England
    I could probably just say "I compared the products at the store before buying it"
    Please note that "it" is not appropriate in that sentence because it's singular and products is plural. You could replace it with "either of them" or "anything", or you could just say "before making a purchase".

meijin

Japanese
    I forgot to mention that the speaker was talking to someone who knows what product the speaker had bought.

< Previous | Next >