A compliment is like a kiss through a veil.

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
Can you explain to me in which situation this sentence is said:
"A compliment is like a kiss through a veil."
Thanks.

• foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    This must be a comment about a specific compliment, and a tepid one at that.

A real compliment, well timed and vividly worded, and be like a very wet kiss with the veil pulled all the way off. A compliment can be like a pinch of sea salt and a grind of Tellicherry pepper on a bite of rare elk steak right off the grill.

This statement wasn't about compliments in general, right?

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you foxfirebrand,
    I cannot imagine that a simple sentence contains such a deep meaning.
    I like how you analysed it a lot.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    "A compliment is like a kiss through a veil."
    My feeling is that this is a comment about compliments in general.
    Most compliments are empty praise and give nothing.
    On the other hand an honest critique can be very valuable.
    One should not compliment a lack of talent because it encourages repeat behaviour.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Hi mimi!
    I am not quite sure of the meaning. I guess it depends on when this expression first came out and who coined it.

Interpretation a.
    A kiss through a veil is not a real kiss. A real kiss should connect with the skin of the other person. So, a compliment compared with an unreal kiss can be said to show untrue feelings.

Interpretation b. (my favourite but I am somewhat of a romantic).
    A true compliment should be like a kiss through a veil. As a kiss through a veil shows one's feelings without being in anyway "vulgar", "too much" (remember, it could be an old expression and a brittish one to boot). A kiss through a veil is telling but modest and proper. That's how a compliment should be.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Hi mimi!
    I am not quite sure of the meaning. I guess it depends on when this expression first came out and who coined it.

Interpretation a.
    A kiss through a veil is not a real kiss. A real kiss should connect with the skin of the other person. So, a compliment compared with an unreal kiss can be said to show untrue feelings.

Interpretation b. (my favourite but I am somewhat of a romantic).
    A true compliment should be like a kiss through a veil. As a kiss through a veil shows one's feelings without being in anyway "vulgar", "too much" (remember, it could be an old expression and a brittish one to boot). A kiss through a veil is telling but modest and proper. That's how a compliment should be.
    What a wonderfully positive interpretation. I like the way your mind works.

I hope your veil remained in place;)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Surely ireney is closest to the heart of the meaning.
    The exchange of compliments becomes an exchange of verbal caresses, a touching of minds that promises the touching of lips; as might a kiss through a veil.

< Previous | Next >