A comprehensive fansite

Brenduchis

Spanish, Mexico city
Hello people, I'd love to speak german but I can't :( and I have to translate a sentence, someone who wants to help me out with it?

I know Umfassend is ... comprehensive and Fanseite is fansite. I'm not into german grammatic rules so please..:

A comprehensive fansite for everything Riley Smith

Ein Riley Smith Umfassend Fanseite <-- it's too literal?

Snif I want to speak german T_T....... !!!

• heidita

Banned
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    Hello people, I'd love to speak german but I can't :( and I have to translate a sentence, someone who wants to help me out with it?

I know Umfassend is ... comprehensive and Fanseite is fansite. I'm not into german grammatic rules so please..:

A comprehensive fansite for everything Riley Smith

Ein Riley Smith Umfassend Fanseite <-- it's too literal?

Snif I want to speak german T_T....... !!!
    Shouldn't that be "about Riley Smith"?

In any case, I can see that the English wording is widely accepted.

Eine umfassende/ausführliche Fanpage (auch : Fanseite) über Riley Smith

Jana337

čeština
    Shouldn't that be "about Riley Smith"?
    I don't know whether it is (already) standard English but I must say that I hear/see expressions like "I love everything Germany", "you can buy everything Beatles in our online shop" quite often.

Jana

geostan

English Canada
    I don't know whether it is (already) standard English but I must say that I hear/see expressions like "I love everything Germany", "you can buy everything Beatles in our online shop" quite often.

Jana
    I don't know where you hear "I love everything Germany"; I have never heard such a sentence. I'd say "I love everything German." The same is true about your Beatles sentence. It's not English.

Bonjules

German
    I agree, I don't like it at all. But google "everything Beatles" to see .....

Jana
    Hola,
    It seems 'commercial-speak' comes up with this stuff just to create atterntion. Anything to create attention;
    creating new words, new grammar etc. Defenders of
    'language is what you see in front of you' will have to
    ask themselves at one point whether their approach
    is sufficient.
    saludos

Brenduchis

Spanish, Mexico city
    Well... I know everything something is so popular between fansites in order to make short titles precisely.... like Your ultimate source for everything Rihanna... or something like that.

So...
    Eine umfassende/ausführliche Fanpage (auch : Fanseite) über Riley Smith

Yeahhh I prefer ausführliche thank you so much!!! Eine... >_< I always forget that rule....
    Eine ausführliche Fanseite über Riley Smith.

Thaaaaaanksss!!!!!!

gaer

US-English
    I don't know where you hear "I love everything Germany"; I have never heard such a sentence. I'd say "I love everything German." The same is true about your Beatles sentence. It's not English.
    Of course it is English!

It may not be English that you approve of, and I don't particularly like it myself, but you are misleading people if you suggest that it is not used by "natives". :)

Gaer

geostan

English Canada
    Of course it is English!

It may not be English that you approve of, and I don't particularly like it myself, but you are misleading people if you suggest that it is not used by "natives". :)

Gaer
    I can believe that some "natives" might say something as outlandish as "everything Germany," but if I were learning a language, I wouldn't want native speakers telling me that something like this is all right. That is no way to help them. And I still say that I have never heard it!

gaer

US-English
    I can believe that some "natives" might say something as outlandish as "everything Germany," but if I were learning a language, I wouldn't want native speakers telling me that something like this is all right. That is no way to help them. And I still say that I have never heard it!
    I was think specifically about "I love everything Beatles". :)

I was very busy at the time I answered and overlooked "love everything Germany", which I do agree is unlikely and in fact does not appear at all in a search.

The problem with that is that "everything German" would be normally be used instead, although "everything Germany" is used in advertising, as has been pointed out.

This would be much more common: I love everything English/American/French, Russian, etc.

Here you and I agree.

The use of a name is different. Now English is used playfully. I might say, for instance, "I love everything 'Geostan'," but you would have to be a bit more famous. ;)

"I love everything Beatles" would simply mean: "I love everything by the Beatles, about the Beatles or any way related to the Beatles."

To me this is playful. The point I was making is that it is not the type of thing done by people who are not English-natives. It doesn't sound like a "foreign mistake", and although it is used by advertising, it is not limited to advertising.

You will see this construction for certain names:

"I love everything Tolkien"
    "Everything Tolkien related."
    "I collect everything Tolkien."

It works better with some names than others, and it's a very informal, "slangy" way of getting across an idea.

Like you I would not recommend it to someone who is just learning the basics, but we have many people in these forums who are quite advanced.

People want answers to questions such as these:

Is it formal? Informal? Slang? Wording used only by adverstising? Only by fans?

I prefer to avoid the phrase, "It's not English".

Instead, I attempt to talk about the "register" of English being used.

Fairer? ;)

Gaer

< Previous | Next >