A confusing sentence:Wind and solar cost the same or less to produce is many countries

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What does it mean? "Is many countries" sounds especially weird. The author seems to express something like "many countries now use wind and solar light, which cost the same or less, to produce electrical power, even without subsidies" But his/her expression is awkward and not grammatical either.

New Scientist tweeted hours ago:
King coal is dying. Wind and solar cost the same or less to produce is many countries, even without subsidies.

(No more context available)

Thanks in advance

(Does this thread violate our forum rule? I don't know. If it does, please delete it. Thanks)

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    What does it mean? "Is many countries" sounds especially weird. The author seems to express something like "many countries now use wind and solar light, which cost the same or less, to produce electrical power, even without subsidies" But his/her expression is awkward and not grammatical either.

New Scientist tweeted hours ago:
    King coal is dying. Wind and solar cost the same or less to produce is many countries, even without subsidies.

(No more context available)

Thanks in advance

(Does this thread violate our forum rule? I don't know. If it does, please delete it. Thanks)
    It is just a typo. It might have been autofilled by the phone/laptop used by the author. You have to be super-alert these days to check what nonsense the device has chosen for you to say; especially if you are a bit prone to clumsy typing yourself, as I am, because it sets the gadget off on the wrong track!

< Previous | Next >