a continent-shifting product

< Previous | Next >

Trosa

Banned
Portuguese
Hey

"a continent-shifting product" it's a product capable of changing an whole continent or is it something else I may be missing?

Thanks in advance

• Trosa

Banned
    Portuguese
    imagine a technology product which, within a technology company, could improve people lives but, instead, it doesn't receives any attention from those who have the power to materialize such a product: a continent-shifting product

George French

English - UK
    imagine a technology product which, within a technology company, could improve people lives but, instead, it doesn't receives any attention from those who have the power to materialize such a product: a continent-shifting product
    You have just described a failure.... see the red bits.... nevertheless:-

A continent-shifting product seems to be a wierd metaphor.
    Even a few H-bombs would not shift a continent.....

Maybe there is such a product... :) , if there is:- Have I got the patent? :D:tick:

GF..

Trosa

Banned
    Portuguese
    It's referring the Apple company - they say it changed the world...
    Precisely because it is a metaphor it's not wierd, man :)

JamesM

"A world-changing product" makes sense and is a current expression. So is a "game-changing product." Shifting a continent is not the goal of most marketers. You slide Europe a few feet to the left and you still have Europe, in a slightly different location. As an image it isn't very appealing.

Since you obviously have context for this statement, how about sharing it with us? It's a requirement of this forum.

Not quite. There are metaphors that don't make literal sense and then there are metaphors that don't make any sense at all.

Last edited:

Trosa

Banned
    Portuguese
    Ok, this is the sentence:

"What do you do if you have in your head a continent-shifting product
    but your company doesn’t take any interest?"

And is referring to the time when Steve Jobs had some difficulties in the Apple, cause it was in the beginning, and people in there wouldn't give him the due credit. So, maybe this explains then the continent-shifting stuff, like, once it was in the beginning, maybe it is referring only to American continent... It's the best I can think of... Take your shots.

Trosa

Banned
    Portuguese
    Yes, it is intencionally metaphoric, but once the normal saying would be world-changing, as JamesM said, it's strange the choosing of continent-shifting. Maybe the guy is trying to set an analogy with the breaking apart phenomenon of the supercontinent Pangea! :D

e2efour

UK English
    I'm afraid that to my ears it sounds weird (note the spelling :)) if only because I find the idea of shifting a continent odd. Continents shift over millions of years, but they do not shift in response to ideas or innovations.

Like JulianStuart I immediately thought of earth-shattering or (milder) groundbreaking.

< Previous | Next >