a 'Cosmopolitan'

Garbuz

Russian
Is the article needed with the name of the magazine in the following sentence?

I'd like to read something. Have got a 'Cosmopolitan'?

What if the name of a magazine has the definite article in its name already, like 'The Econimist'?

Have you got 'The Economist'? ('An' would be wrong, wouldn't it?) In that case is it necessary to say 'Have you got a copy of 'The Economist'?

Thanks.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The article is the one that belongs with the noun phrase: have you got a magazine; have you got an 'Economist'? The article in the name 'The Economist' is less important and is dropped. The 'a/an' is doing grammatical work in the sentence, but the 'The' isn't.

Likewise with repetition of 'the': I was interviewed by the reporter; I was interviewed by the 'Economist' reporter. We need the first 'the' for the grammar of 'the (X) reporter'.

Of course sometimes you don't need this article at all: have you got 'Cosmopolitan'? have you got 'The Economist'? We only need 'a' when we specifically mean "a copy of".

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Is the article needed with the name of the magazine in the following sentence?

I'd like to read something. Have got a 'Cosmopolitan'?
    No, but the question needs to be reworded.

I would like to read something. Do you have a copy of Cosmopolitan? (This is American English, and more formal British English.)

I would like to read something. Have you got a copy of Cosmopolitan? (This is informal British English.)

I would like to read something. Do you have Cosmopolitan? (You might phrase it this way if it is clear that one is discussing magazines -- for example, you are addressing a flight attendant who is walking down the aisle of an airplane handing out magazines to passengers who want one.)

If the magazine's name includes a definite article, you would use it:

Do you have a copy of The Economist?
    Do you have The Economist?

< Previous | Next >