a cost structure that is "in line with" our reduced revenues

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Wookie, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Wookie

Wookie Senior Member

Korea, Korean
    Looking ahead to the rest of the fiscal year, we still face challenging economic conditions. We must continue to be vigilant about maintaining a cost structure that is in line with our reduced revenues.

This is from a company newsletter. I have difficulty in understanding the underlined part. I know what "in line with" means but I'm not sure if the underlined part makes sense. I think the cost structure is what should be changed, not maintained.
    Could you explain what the part means?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It is not saying that we should maintain our old cost structure, but rather in the future we should maintain a cost structure (after we establish what it is) that matches our lower income.

3. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "To maintain" also means to keep in repair so the cost structure doesn't remain static but is constantly adjusted as the revenues change.

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

I read it as keeping costs proportionate to revenue. The "maintaining" is maintaining a policy. In other words, costs should not be allowed to grow out of line with the current revenue but should be maintained in line with revenue.