A Cottage ...

Ian Tenor

English UK
Hello -

I am looking for a German word for "cottage" to be used in a spoken introduction to two British songs I have to sing for a German audience.

A problem is that the context is not the same for the "cottage" in the two songs.

In the first song, it is a refuge for a broken-heated soul, where he (or she) might flee the world ...

In the second, it is a shepherd's cottage, substantial enough for him and his family, with a decent fireplace, and simply but sufficiently furnished.

It may well be that a different German word would be best for each usage - but I really do need just one.

A German friend suggests 'Hütte', but I was wondering whether 'Haüschen' might not be more appropriate.

Have you any thoughts ... ?

Thanks !

Ian

Last edited:
  • Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello everybody :)

"Schafstall" is the place for the animals. The shepherd will probably rather be in a "Hütte".

So I'd also choose "Hütte". We also have sayings that refer to "Hütte" as a small building that provides shelter, for instance: "Raum ist in der kleinsten Hütte" (meaning that guests are welcome, even if the space is limited).

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    "Hütte" has been seconded already, and I am >thirding< it. :)
    It is the proper choice in this context, and it would also be the word used by Bavarians and Austrians in this context (in dialect of course "Hittn").

Ian Tenor

English UK
    Well, that's fantastic, and only goes to confirm what my German friend suggested in the first place ! (Will I ever listen to good advice ... ?!)

A big 'thank you' to all contributors -

Ian

< Previous | Next >