a couple of / a pair of ....زوج من

Haroon

Arabic-Egypt
Hi young people ! .. is it fine to use زوج من with objects like chairs, tables, pens etc. Context : he made a shelter and furnished it with a chaise longue and a couple of chairs...Thanks in advance.

• Awatoufa

Arabic
    Hi
    ....زوج من is used in arabic to express something composed of two things for example shoes= زوج من الأحذية
    but it has the meaning of couple but i never heard of
    زوج من الطاولات أو زوج من الكراسي أو زوج من الأقلام

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Hi
    ....زوج من is used in arabic to express something composed of two things for example shoes= زوج من الأحذية
    but it has the meaning of couple but i never heard of
    زوج من الطاولات أو زوج من الكراسي أو زوج من الأقلام
    I've often heard it used that way; زوج كراسي = two chairs; زوجين كراسي = four chairs...etc.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    he made a shelter and furnished it with a chaise longue and a couple of chairs
    "A couple of" and "a pair of" do not mean the same thing. "A pair of" always refers to exactly two items that go together. "A couple of" need not refer to exactly two items. It can refer to two, or "about two."

So in your sentence, "a couple of chairs" can be translated as بعض الكراسي.

djamal 2008

arabic
    "a couple of" and "a pair of" do not mean the same thing. "a pair of" always refers to exactly two items that go together. "a couple of" need not refer to exactly two items. It can refer to two, or "about two."

so in your sentence, "a couple of chairs" can be translated as بعض الكراسي.

أو بضعة كراسٍٍٍ بتنوين حرف السين بالكسرة كونه مضاف إلية .

< Previous | Next >