1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

a critical eye to/towards

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by malina, Jun 14, 2008.

1. malina

malina Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish/Catalan
    Hi,

I am not sure about the presposition I should use in this sentence

Tener una actitud crítica hacia los estereotipos lingüísticos que reflejan prejuicios racistas, clasistas o sexistas.

Have a critical eye to/towards linguistic stereotypes that reflect racist, classist or sexual prejudices.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    Dear Malina,

LEND a critical eye TO..
    is the form more often used.

Best Regards,
    Dinis

3. malina

malina Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish/Catalan
    Thanks Dinis. You're an angel :)

4. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    I have a critical eye when it comes to linguistic stereotypes...

5. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    ERRARE HUMANUM EST

I am sorry, Malina, I was being rushed off the computer this afternoon by my wife because I had something burning in the oven and somehow, in my desire to provide you, my dear friend, with a quick response, I misread the verb HAVE in your original question as GIVE so I translated it with LEND -- which would have been the proper correction --in that imaginary case. (I really didn't have time to go for my glasses!)

Luckily, for us, the dish came out better than my answer -- extra crispy but delicious Mandarin Orange Chicken! Anyway, I promise to be more careful in the future.

Regretfully Yours,
    Dinis

6. malina

malina Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish/Catalan
    Dear Dinis,

I was thinking in just forgiving you in case I could taste your dish, but... as think it would be highly difficult, I just say: Bon appetit (and don't worry about your little mistake, I wish that everything in life would be as esay as correcting a word in a document)

Thank you again and ever.