a crowd's reaction to a zinger

< Previous | Next >

HanaPopo

Japanese
Suppose there is a verbal battle between two persons surrounded by a crowd. One of the two finally shoots an ultimate zinger to the other, causing everyone in the crowd to make a loud "oh"-like voice and a gaping or grinning face with a sense of both astonishment and amusement. Is there a better verb or adjective to describe such a reaction?

• owlman5

English-US
    You could use various different words to replace "reaction" in the phrase "the crowd's reaction to a zinger", but I don't think they would be any more accurate or idiomatic than "reaction" is.

HanaPopo

Japanese
    You could use various different words to replace "reaction" in the phrase "the crowd's reaction to a zinger", but I don't think they would be any more accurate or idiomatic than "reaction" is.
    What about verbs and adjectives? Something which has a combined meaning of "be shocked" and "be amused". On Thesaurus.com, from "aghast (very surprised)" I got "agog (enthralled)".

The crowd went agog.

owlman5

English-US
    "Aghast" suggests unpleasant surprise or shock. "Agog" would work if you wanted to use a humorous, unusual, archaic-sounding word. The word you choose depends on what effect you want to achieve.

"I was agog at/enthralled by something.":thumbsup: "I got agog (at something).":confused:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >