a crucial step to my medical education

Discussion in 'English Only' started by indone, Feb 12, 2015.

1. indone New Member

GREEK
    HI EVERYONE!I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS OK TO SAY:This summer school can be a crucial step to my medical education
    THANK YOU!

2. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    You can write it that way or with "could".

This summer school can be a crucial step to my medical education.

This summer school could be a crucial step to my medical education.

Note that all caps is much harder to read than caps and lower case. All caps is frowned upon in these forums.

3. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Hello and welcome, indone. Which part of your sentence are you asking about? You should be making a step in your medical education.

4. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    It's not clear to me if you mean "This summer school could be a crucial step in my medical education." or "...could be a crucial step towards my ..." The meanings are diffferent; the first, that it could be a crucial part of your curriculum during your medical education, the second, that it is something crucial that you could do prior to beginning your medical education.

5. indone New Member

GREEK
    thank you all!so is it in?because i googled it,but i couldn't find the proper preposition!yes i want to say:this summer school should
    be a crucial step in my medical education.

6. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    ain'tt...fun's point is that:
    If the summer school is something you do during the medical course you say "in".
    If the summer school is something you do before you start the medical course you say "towards".

7. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Thanks, Andy: you explained it more clearly and concisely than I did!