a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius

Instinct96

English
¿Cómo dirías esta cita?:
a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius

Es sobre el Guernica (la obra que Pablo Picasso pintó).

Mi intento: El Guernica es una llorera de indignación y horor desarrollados por un gran genio.

Me gustaría que sonara natural/'español'.

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Instinct96

English
    Would you use "desarrollado" to translate "amplified" in this context? And, Instinct96, what exactly do you mean by "amplified" here? :)
    By amplified, I mean Picasso made the horrors of the war seem more intense. i.e. intensified could be used instead of amplified i guess.​

Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    By amplified, I mean Picasso made the horrors of the war seem more intense. i.e. intensified could be used instead of amplified i guess.
    I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around this. I get the idea but at the same time there's something in the grammar of the sentence that doesn't really work. In your sentence: the Guernica is a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius what is "amplified"/"intensified" by Picasso is either the painting or the cry of outrage. Whereas, if I understand right, what you want to say is that Picasso captures the horrors of war and depicts them with a certain intensity in this picture. Is that right?

Lurrezko

Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Si se refiere al grito, el verbo amplificar me parece adecuado: se amplifica un sonido.

El Guernica es un grito de indignación y horror amplificado por un gran genio.

Un saludo

Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    ¡Qué bueno que andes por aquí, Lurrezko! Estaba pensando en invitarte, justamente.
    Parece que me he líado solita, como dicen los españoles. A mí la frase no me termina de cerrar pero quizás simplemente yo no esté a la altura de este hilo. Puede pasar :D...

Last edited:

Instinct96

English
    I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around this. I get the idea but at the same time there's something in the grammar of the sentence that doesn't really work. In your sentence: the Guernica is a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius what is "amplified"/"intensified" by Picasso is either the painting or the cry of outrage. Whereas, if I understand right, what you want to say is that Picasso captures the horrors of war and depicts them with a certain intensity in this picture. Is that right?
    To be honest, it's a quote from someone who was writing about Guernica. I just wanted to translate the English quote into the Spanish quote. I understand it is a bit vague - but this art historian wrote it, so i am just trying to interpret it!

Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    To be honest, it's a quote from someone who was writing about Guernica. I just wanted to translate the English quote into the Spanish quote. I understand it is a bit vague - but this art historian wrote it, so I am just trying to interpret it!
    Well, I'm glad to hear you find it a little vague, too! :D
    Having said that, I encourage you to go ahead and use Lurrezko's translation! :thumbsup: