a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Instinct96, May 3, 2014.

1. Instinct96 Senior Member

English
    ¿Cómo dirías esta cita?:
    a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius

Es sobre el Guernica (la obra que Pablo Picasso pintó).

Mi intento: El Guernica es una llorera de indignación y horor desarrollados por un gran genio.

Me gustaría que sonara natural/'español'.

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I would use "grito" instead of "llorera." And "desarollado" should be singular, as it qualifies "grito."

3. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Mallorca, Spain
    Spanish (Argentina)
    Would you use "desarrollado" to translate "amplified" in this context? And, Instinct96, what exactly do you mean by "amplified" here? :)

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Probably not, no.

5. Instinct96 Senior Member

English
    By amplified, I mean Picasso made the horrors of the war seem more intense. i.e. intensified could be used instead of amplified i guess.​

6. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Mallorca, Spain
    Spanish (Argentina)
    I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around this. I get the idea but at the same time there's something in the grammar of the sentence that doesn't really work. In your sentence: the Guernica is a cry of outrage and horror amplified by a great genius what is "amplified"/"intensified" by Picasso is either the painting or the cry of outrage. Whereas, if I understand right, what you want to say is that Picasso captures the horrors of war and depicts them with a certain intensity in this picture. Is that right?

7. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Si se refiere al grito, el verbo amplificar me parece adecuado: se amplifica un sonido.

El Guernica es un grito de indignación y horror amplificado por un gran genio.

Un saludo

8. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Mallorca, Spain
    Spanish (Argentina)
    ¡Qué bueno que andes por aquí, Lurrezko! Estaba pensando en invitarte, justamente.
    Parece que me he líado solita, como dicen los españoles. A mí la frase no me termina de cerrar pero quizás simplemente yo no esté a la altura de este hilo. Puede pasar :D...

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  9. Instinct96 Senior Member

English
    To be honest, it's a quote from someone who was writing about Guernica. I just wanted to translate the English quote into the Spanish quote. I understand it is a bit vague - but this art historian wrote it, so i am just trying to interpret it!

10. Andoush

Andoush Senior Member

Mallorca, Spain
    Spanish (Argentina)
    Well, I'm glad to hear you find it a little vague, too! :D
    Having said that, I encourage you to go ahead and use Lurrezko's translation! :thumbsup:

11. Instinct96 Senior Member

English
    Gracias muchísima por tu ayuda, me habéis ayudado mucho.