A cup is mine vs the cup is mine

< Previous | Next >

Sintia5

Korean
Hello! I thank for this forum always!
I wonder which one is right?

- A cup on the table is mine
- The cup on the table is mine

Choosing the article is difficult for me..

Please help me!
<Edited by moderator (Florentia52) to remove texting shorthand>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    That’s really not enough information for us to give a good answer. Which word you need to use depends on what you’re describing – not the other way round.

You can only use the definite article if there’s just one cup on the table. In that case it would be specific; it would be the cup. Otherwise, the implication is that there are several cups on the table, only one of which is yours.

Sintia5

Korean
    That’s really not enough information for us to give a good answer. Which word you need to use depends on what you’re describing – not the other way round.

You can only use the definite article if there’s just one cup on the table. In that case it would be specific; it would be the cup. Otherwise, the implication is that there are several cups on the table, only one of which is yours.
    Thank you for your answer!! I know it is not enough to give me a good answer.. I got this sentence from an online cafe, and he(or she) gave us only one
    Korean sentence for translation, so I assumed it didn't have any situation.

I got understood what you said like this :
    If the only one cup is on the table, I shoud use "the" instead of "a".
    If there are many cups on the table, I can use "a". Am I right?

sound shift

English - England
    I got understood what you said like this :
    If the only one cup is on the table, I shoud use "the" instead of "a".
    If there are many cups on the table, I can use "a". Am I right?
    The first proposition is right.
    As to the second, "A cup on the table is mine" doesn't sound idiomatic to me. If there's more than one cup, and one of them is mine, I would say "One of the cups on the table is mine."

Sintia5

Korean
    The first proposition is right.
    As to the second, "A cup on the table is mine" doesn't sound idiomatic to me. If there's more than one cup, and one of them is mine, I would say "One of the cups on the table is mine."
    Really thank you!
    I got it! Have a nice day!

< Previous | Next >