A Cup Noodles

< Previous | Next >

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
Hi, Cup Noodles is a noodle brand. Can I say ‘I want to eat a Cup Noodles.’ and using an article ‘a’. Thanks

• The Newt

English - US
    I think we could say "I'm going to have (or "make") a Cup Noodles," with the understanding that "Cup Noodles" means one container of the product that bears that brand name.

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    Thanks, but we have different opinions here. The Newt’s post is what I am trying to say and see whether natives say it.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Is it because I use the verb eat instead of have?
    The main problem is caused by using a brand name countably.
    A second problem is that you have told us nothing about "Cup Noodles".
    The third problem is that this brand is unknown (at least to me in the UK) and so it is pretty meaningless.
    The fourth problem is that we do not know why you are saying this, or to whom you are speaking.
    The fifth problem is that Cup Noodles appears to be something that has noodles, which are plural and ould normally be qualified by "some".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The brand name is "Cup Noodles" in some countries (including on Amazon UK) and "Cup Noodle" in Japan. You eat the noodles and bits and drink the remaining broth/soup. (I hereby avoid the eat/drink aspect of the OP :)) The generic description is "instant ramen" although not all of them are sold in cups.

When thinking specifically about the product named in the OP:

What would you like for a snack?
    I'd like a "Cup Noodles" (one cup/serving of the brand name product).
    I would like a cup of instant noodles (eschewing the brand name).
    I would like a cup of instant ramen.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >