Hotmale

Polish
Hello :)

Is it a rule that when you write a recipe you omit "of"? For instance:

• 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Is it very uncommon to find a recipe with "of"?

Thank you.

• Moggie

italiano
    Added to previous thread.
    Cagey, moderator

Still about the same piece in the NYC about cooking, I found these three sentences among some others:

"When the oil is hot or the butter is melted, add one cup chopped onion and cook"
    "Add four cups fresh or canned chopped tomatoes and a sprinkling of salt and pepper"
    "Put 1/4 cup oil in the bottom of a roasting pan and toss the vegetables with it and a lot of salt and pepper"

In all the above sentences, which are chunks of recipes, I noticed without the shadow of a doubt that the word 'of'
    after 'a cup' or '1/4 cup' is lacking.
    I might be wrong but I seem to have read in other recipes that it was present.

Is there a rule or a guideline about the use of it in recipes ?
    Thanks a lot :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Recipes are often listed as briefly as possible and instructions are terse, almost like newspaper headlines. Articles are frequently omitted.

owlman5

English-US
    Recipes often use abbreviated language, Moggie. You sure don't need to write "1/4 cup of oil". "1/4 cup oil" is enough.

Please post your source for this language, Moggie, every time you quote something in the forum. This reference isn't enough: Still about the same piece in the NYC about cooking,... Thank you.

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you, Moggie. I'll show you how to quote something properly instead of posting a bare link for your reference. Bare links are not allowed: The New York Times, "Bring Your Lunch to Work", author's name. I would have written the author's name, but I couldn't connect to the page you linked to.

"Of" isn't a mistake, Moggie. It isn't necessary, however, in recipes.

Moggie

italiano
    Oh, I see. I am sorry, next time I'll know what to do and how, Owlman :)
    Besides, I cannot access the page either. Strange, it worked until a few minutes ago.

Andygc

British English
    Moderator note. At 1933 UTC on 27 August 2013 the New York Times server was down. That was why the link did not work.

< Previous | Next >