a daily /weekly basis

< Previous | Next >

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, everyone
I need to write a sentence to describe the general trend of these three groups:

A. The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants every day went down.
B. The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants several times a week went down
C. The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants once a week went down.

To include all three types of groups, I figured out two ways(I am afraid I may not include group B):

The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants on a daily and weekly basis went down.
The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants from a daily to a weekly basis went down.

What do you think?
Thanks

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Your first option is confusing, because it sounds as though the same people ate fast food on a daily and a weekly basis. The second is better but unnecessarily convoluted. Unless someone is compelling you to use the "on a ___ basis" phrasing, why not just say "...who ate in fast-food restaurants at least once a week?"

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Your first option is confusing, because it sounds as though the same people ate fast food on a daily and a weekly basis. The second is better but unnecessarily convoluted. Why not just say "...who ate in fast-food restaurants at least once a week?"
    How about "The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants daily and those who went there at least once a week went down"?
    Or
    I have a new idea:
    Both daily and weekly fast food restaurant goers went down.

Thanks

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    How about "The percentage of the Americans who ate in fast food restaurants daily and those who went there at least once a week went down"?
    Or
    I have a new idea:
    Both daily and weekly fast food restaurant goers went down.
    The first one is cumbersome but (if you took out "the" before "Americans") would not be incorrect. The second one does not work at all.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    The first one is cumbersome but (if you took out "the" before "Americans") would not be incorrect. The second one does not work at all.
    So, I can just say "at least once a week " to include all three group?
    By the way, why the second one does work?
    Thanks

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Both daily and weekly fast food restaurant goers went down" doesn't work because the restaurant-goers (the people) didn't go down. Also, "daily and weekly fast-food restaurant-goers" is cumbersome and awkward.

< Previous | Next >