A dangling modifier is a modifier which [that?] is not placed

< Previous | Next >

taalgek

dutch
I wonder if the Arabic saying "Follow what the priest says, not what he himself does" applies to the following case. When browsing through the English Grammar Guide of the University of Calgary, I saw the next assertion:
"A dangling modifier is a modifier which is not placed closely enough to what it modifies or which modifies something which is not explicitly included in the sentence."
Would one say that the first two "which’s" should be replaced by two "that’s" because they refer to something definite (= "a modifier")?
I’d appreciate your comment.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    [....]

"A dangling modifier is a modifier which is not placed closely enough to what it modifies or which modifies something which is not explicitly included in the sentence."
    Would one say that the first two "which’s" should be replaced by two "that’s" because they refer to something definite (= "a modifier")?
    I’d appreciate your comment.
    Some people would prefer to use 'that' because the clause it introduces is necessary to the meaning of the sentence ~ what is sometimes called a 'restrictive' clause. However, 'which' is also acceptable.

It is discussed in the usage note under that.

There are quite a few threads discussing that which. Here are two:

< Previous | Next >