a dark stain on your skin

< Previous | Next >

piotr1980

Polish
Hello,

What do you call ''a dark stain'' on your skin which usually appears after you hit something.

there is also a verb that you use with this word.

Many thanks
Piotr

• alien99

UK English
    I think margo16 might have meant a "liver spot":

"Liver spots are the yellowish-brown flat spots that look like large freckles and are thought to be caused by aging, too much sun, impaired liver function, and a dietary or nutritional deficiency"

(health911.com/remedies/rem_liver.htm)

But bruise is definitely the word piotr1980 is looking for.

Loob

English UK
    I think margo16 might have meant a "liver spot"........... But bruise is definitely the word piotr1980 is looking for.
    I'm sure margo16 did mean "livid spot", as in, for example:

That face was so delicate and tender in appearance now, that one could fancy the pressure of a finger upon it would cause a livid spot. (Thomas Hardy, 'A Pair of Blue Eyes')

But I agree that "bruise" is what piotr1980 is after:)

Loob

AWordLover

USA English
    Another term for the dark mark is a "black and blue" mark. Naturally that doesn't help with the clue that there is a related verb.

In the special case that the impact was near the eye, you can get a black eye or a shiner.

alien99

UK English
    I'm sure margo16 did mean "livid spot", as in, for example:

That face was so delicate and tender in appearance now, that one could fancy the pressure of a finger upon it would cause a livid spot. (Thomas Hardy, 'A Pair of Blue Eyes')

But I agree that "bruise" is what piotr1980 is after:)

Loob
    Ahh okay, I have to admit I've never heard "livid spot" before. Only 600 results in Google, so it musn't be very common (at least these days). You learn something new every day. ;)

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I think margo16 might have meant a "liver spot":
    Ahh okay, I have to admit I've never heard "livid spot" before. Only 600 results in Google, so it musn't be very common (at least these days). You learn something new every day. ;)

Yeah, you learn not to be too quick to assume a person here has made a mistake :D

Welcome, alien99.
    Where are your 98 other colleagues? Roswell? :)

< Previous | Next >