... a de que podia privilegiar o cinema

Rose2001

UK, English
O realizador assumiu o grau de dificuldade com uma ideia fundamental, a de que podia privilegiar o cinema durante o tempo da rodagem.

I basically have no idea what this means; I just recognise odd words!

The director assumed the level of difficulty with a basic idea, from which he could favour/prioritise cinema during filming.

This makes no sense to me. :( Could anyone help me disentangle it?! Thanks very much.

• machadinho

Português - Brasil
    It's far from clear, Rose. The director acknowledged the level of difficulty by way of a basic idea, the idea that he could favour [the art of] cinema during filming.

GamblingCamel

USA English
    Rose, this is just a far off guess.
    In EN "to privilege" is a verb that's used in contemporary art theory.

This is a position which tends to privilege the artist as unquestionable author.
    It is common practice in social constructionist argumentation to shift from the singular to the plural in order to privilege heterogeneity.
    Perhaps, the director intends to make cinema itself a unifying subject of his film, that is, his directorial style will involve references to cinematic process, history, etc.
    In context of the whole text, does that make any sense?

coolbrowne

Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    I do agree that it is not clear.
    It's far from clear, Rose...
    The reason is that the writing is poor and presumptuous; those two often go hand in hand. But it looks to me as though "assumir" would be "to take upon oneself" rather than "to acknowledge".
    The director acknowledged the level of difficulty by way of a basic idea, the idea that he could favour [the art of] cinema during filming.
    Also, "realizador" is not "director"
    The producer took on that level of difficulty with a basic idea: that it (said level of difficulty) might favour cinema at the time of shooting.
    Regards

Joca

Brazilian Portuguese
    I do agree that it is not clear.The reason is that the writing is poor and presumptuous; those two often go hand in hand. But it looks to me as though "assumir" would be "to take upon oneself" rather than "to acknowledge".Also, "realizador" is not "director"
    The producer took on that level of difficulty with a basic idea: that it (said level of difficulty) might favour cinema at the time of shooting.
    Regards
    I agree in part with this, but I am not sure whether the level or degree of difficulty might favour cinema or the producer himself might favour cinema.

The original sentence is quite ambiguous.

< Previous | Next >