a debilitating amount of drugs

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

There's a room in Boston where patients can ride out a high from heroin or other drugs. It was designed to help protect the drug users, and there's been an interesting side effect. Doctors are learning a lot more about what the body does while on a debilitating amount of drugs.

(This comes from npr.org: In Boston's 'Safe Space,' Surprising Insights Into Drug Highs on August 8, 2016.)

I know 'debilitate' means to to make someone weak, but I don't know what it means here. Does it mean a reduced amount of drug, for example, they first use 10 grams, then gradually reduce the amount to 8 grams, 5 grams and so on?

Thanks in advance!

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    a debilitating amount of drugs = an amount of drugs that debilitates the addict.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I know 'debilitate' means to to make someone weak, but I don't know what it means here. Does it mean a reduced amount of drug, for example, they first use 10 grams, then gradually reduce the amount to 8 grams, 5 grams and so on?
    No, it has nothing to do with weaker doses of the drugs. It means Doctors are learning a lot more about what the body does when it (the body) has had a sufficient amount of drugs to cause it to weaken / become debilitated.

< Previous | Next >