a deck (as an attachment to a house)

John Robin Allen

Senior Member
English - Canada
We recently had a deck attached to our house rebuilt. It is a platform made of wood, elevated from the ground, open to nature without any roof. It is surrounded by a railing to prevent persons from falling off of it, as it is, in our case, one floor above the ground.
I looked in WR for a translation of that kind of a deck (as opposed to a deck on a ship or a deck of 52 cards), and WR said it is "une terrace." It definitely ain't that. One of the persons working on the deck was from Quebec, so I asked him how he would translate "a deck" into French. He said that in Québec it is called "une galerie," but he did not know what it would be called in France.
I asked another Québecoise how she would translate "a deck," and she said with little hesitation "une galerie" but she did not know if that is correct.
Could anyone from France shed some fuel on the fire with a better translation?

Priddis, Alberta, Canada
  • moustic

    Senior Member
    British English
    You didn't like "terrasse", but do take a look at "terrasse surélevée en bois", I'm sure you'll see something like your platform deck.
    A deck at ground level is "terrasse en bois".


    Senior Member
    French - France
    J'appellerais ça un balcon (en bois). Pour plate-forme ou terrasse, ou même galerie, il faudrait préciser surélevée, mais un balcon est en étage, normalement.
    < Previous | Next >