A defect is raised (in/on/against/towards?) the software application

Jacobdeiter

Badaga
<< Moderator note: I have changed the title of your thread in accordance with Forum Rule 3: ...Thread titles must include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed. (Avoid phrases like "translation please", "how do I say this", "I'm new" and similar expressions.)...>>

I am testing software application and find out a defect; how to say it

1. A defect is raised in the software application
  2. A defect is raised on the software application
  3. A defect is raised against the software application
  4. A defect is raised towards the software application
Which sentence is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I am testing software application and find out a defect; how to say it
    If you're testing this software application and you find a defect, then I think your sentences all need to start:
    "A defect was found..." You can't talk about a defect being "raised": it doesn't make sense.

Do you want to try again with the sentences, telling us which one you think is correct, and one of us will try and help you.

Jacobdeiter

Badaga
    If you're testing this software application and you find a defect, then I think your sentences all need to start:
    "A defect was found..." You can't talk about a defect being "raised": it doesn't make sense.

Do you want to try again with the sentences, telling us which one you think is correct, and one of us will try and help you.

i am sorry, I am not able to find which sentence is correct, in my view, all the sentences seems to be correct.

sdgraham

USA English
    Inasmuch as we don't "raise" defects and "software application" is redundant, the answer to your question is "none of the above."

Is there some reason you don't want to use ordinary language and just say "I found a bug in the software?"

Jacobdeiter

Badaga
    Inasmuch as we don't "raise" defects and "software application" is redundant, the answer to your question is "none of the above."

Is there some reason you don't want to use ordinary language and just say "I found a bug in the software?"
    thanks you for reply.

Once i found a bug in the software, i have to log the bug in a "bug tracking tool", so that the developer get to know about the bug and fix it.

How would i say?

1) I found a bug in the software, so I log the bug in the bug tracking tool against/on/towards the software. here, which is right word to use, against or on or towards ?

sdgraham

USA English
    I think you're trying to use too many words. Try:

"I found a bug in the software, so I logged it in the tracking tool."

You've mentioned the software once, so we all know what's involved.

< Previous | Next >