A delegate of / The delegate of

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Grapez, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Grapez Senior Member

English- American/ Hebrew
    How do we differentiate between a definitive noun and an non-definitive noun in اضافة؟

For example how would I differentiate "a delegate of the UN ..." (مندوب الأمم المتحدة) with "the delegate of the UN" ( a specific delegate)?

2. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I'm not sure about the preposition , but I believe that if it means he's sent by his country to work in the UN, then it should be مندوب لدى الأمم المتحدة ; if he's sent by the UNs to do a mission, then he's a مندوب من الأمم المتحدة .

3. Haroon

Haroon Senior Member

C A I R O
    Arabic-Egypt
    I would say: أحد مندوبي الأمم المتحدة (he is one among some other delegates) --- vs مندوب الأمم المتحدة (he is only one delegate)

4. dkarjala Senior Member

English - America
    The problem here is that "UN" is always definite, therefore you cannot at a possessed entity before it without also making it definite.

In general, you can solve this problem with the preposition ل, although Cherine's suggestions, and others like them, are sometimes more common.

For a simple example, 'my friend' is صديقي. Since 'my' is always definite, to say 'a friend of mine' you have to use the prepositional phrase to create a synthetic construct:
    صديقٌ لي

So what you want literally, whether it's used or not, is مندوب للأمم المتّحدة

I'll leave it to native speakers to tell whether this is مستساغ or not.

5. Grapez Senior Member

English- American/ Hebrew
    I am curious about this as well. I am always uncertain about when to use ل to indicate possession rather than the typical possessive ending.

6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    If you say مندوب الأمم المتحدة it can only be definite. But if you want to make him "just" a delegate (as in one of many), you'll need a preposition. مندوب للأمم المتحدة is verb common, and also the other prepositions I mentioned above.