a detective sergeant has the same powers and authority as a uniformed sergeant

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here is a sentence from a Scotland detective novel by Peter May:this is not the case, and a detective sergeant has the same powers and authority as a uniformed sergeant.

What's the difference between a "detective sergeant" and a "uniformed sergeant" please?
I guess "detective sergeant" refers to "plain-clothes policeman", but I'm not sure.
Thank you in advance

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It should be noted that titles of police and other public officials vary among countries (and perhaps among locations within countries, as well).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    For the purposes of your novel, you need to know that there are different ranks in the British police, starting from police constable, then sergeant, then inspector. PCs and sergeants are normally in uniform when on duty. Uniformed sergeants are involved in day-to-day police work.

Detectives, on the other hand, are not usually in uniform because of the nature of their work. They have sergeants assigned to assist them, and these are detective sergeants, who similarly are not in uniform. Detective sergeants will have undergone some additional training to be able to assist in crime investigation.

I think the arrangements are the same here in Singapore. I know about all this because all the British detective television series ('Lewis', 'Inspector Morse', 'Dalziel and Pascoe') that I watch!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >