A detective's concept

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
In movies, there are roles. But this idea is different from just roles. It's something more vague and wide. If you have an actor who plays a role of a detective in the show. In my language, it's called by the English word "concept." It means how the role this actor would play is illustrated, more of characteristics of that figure in the film rather than just the role itself.

I would probably say: "she is going to play in the concept of a single mother with two kids." or "he starred in the movie in the concept of a hard-boiled detective."

How do you say this in English?

• Jeffool

English - United States
    If you mean a role that is always commonly referred to, you may mean an archetype.

If you mean an actor always plays the same roles, or the role is very generic and like all of the roles that are similar, then it's a stereotype.

Either of those help?

lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t think we have a word that quite matches that meaning of “concept”. Probably the closest is “person” — see the example under definition 1.3 here: person | Lexico — but that’s rarely used.

However, actors do talk of “getting into character”, a particular term meaning to assimilate all the traits and quirks of the person they’re going to play: accent, appearance, body language, gait, etc.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think character fits. "Her character is a single mother with two kids."

It doesn't tell you her name or what she does or the plot or anything like that.

< Previous | Next >