A deterrent power

< Previous | Next >
  • Chez

English English
    You should delete 'the' before 'enemies'. You are thinking of a 'any enemies (in general), not any particular enemies.

amirmg

Farsi
    Well I am not the author of this article, but I believe he/she intentionally used definite article before enemy to show indirectly the enemies of the country.

Chez

English English
    So why are you asking if this sentence is correct? I say it is correct except for the use of 'the'. 'the enemies like' is not good English if it was written like this.

We know the author is referring to the US and Israel because it overtly says so, but it says 'enemies like' these two countries, so it is not only referring to these countries but to any country who is or might become an enemy of Iran.

amirmg

Farsi
    So why are you asking if this sentence is correct? I say it is correct except for the use of 'the'. 'the enemies like' is not good English if it was written like this.

We know the author is referring to the US and Israel because it overtly says so, but it says 'enemies like' these two countries, so it is not only referring to these countries but to any country who is or might become an enemy of Iran.
    My main concern was about the phrase which I highlighted in red. To me a deterrent power seems more natural.

Chez

English English
    Your question is unclear. You have written 'deterrent power' in the sentence and deterrent power is correct.

Are you referring to the other word in your post's title: derenet?
    I thought it was a mistake. This word does not exist and is most certainly an error if it appeared in the original text..

amirmg

Farsi
    Please accept my apology if I failed to explain my question clearly.
    In the original article the author wrote ' deterrent power ' and you confirmed that it was correct.
    On the other hand, to me the correct phrase should be ' a deterrent power '.
    I am Keen to know why ' a deterrent power ' is not correct.

Chez

English English
    Ah... light dawns.

'... gained such great power/influence/strength/' – these 'qualities' are not referred to by the indefinite article. The adjective 'deterrent' doesn't change this.

amirmg

Farsi
    Th
    Ah... light dawns.

'... gained such great power/influence/strength/' – these 'qualities' are not referred to by the indefinite article. The adjective 'deterrent' doesn't change this.
    Thanks. That is what I was looking for :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >