a difference across diets

ipipip

Mandarin Chinese普通话
Hi, guys. I met a phrase, a difference across, which I don't understand.
a difference across, here, equal "a difference involved in diets" or "a difference with regarded to diets" ??
Thanks in advance.

Statistical Computing Seminars
Repeated Measures Analysis with SPSS
In the following example we are testing if there is a difference across diets between the differences of exertype group 1 and 2 versus exertype group 3. This kind of contrast is known as an interaction contrast and for more details about these type of interactions please refer to Design and Analysis by G. Keppel. From the results we see that there is indeed a significant differences across diets between exertype group 1 and 2 and exertype group 3 (p = 0.004).

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I would say the "across" can be replaced with "among", and the meaning essentially stays the same. This sounds like technical writing, though.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hi, guys. I met a phrase, a difference across, which I don't understand.
    a difference across, here, equal "a difference involved in diets" or "a difference with regarded to diets" ??
    Thanks in advance.

Statistical Computing Seminars
    Repeated Measures Analysis with SPSS
    In the following example we are testing if there is a difference across diets between the differences of exertype group 1 and 2 versus exertype group 3. This kind of contrast is known as an interaction contrast and for more details about these types of interactions please refer to Design and Analysis by G. Keppel. From the results we see that there is indeed a significant differences across diets between exertype group 1 and 2 and exertype group 3 (p = 0.004).
    If we add one s and delete another we end up with typical text in a statistics seminar/discussion. It sounds strange, just as legal language can, to the person expecting everyday English. The author is a statistician not an English professor:D

< Previous | Next >