A different amount of

splash_jony

China - Cantonese
Hi everybody, I'm reading a book about american accent recently.
There is a question in that book as following sentence:

Indicate he may have stolen a different amount of money?
What's the exact meaning of "A different amount of"?

And I got the correct answer is
"I didn't say he stole the money, but rather other money."
the words with underline mean that we should stress the word when saying the sentence.

I think "amount" talks about the total quantity of something, it doesn't matter of distinguishing "this one" and "that one" just like the and other in the sentence.
So why the answer is "I didn't say ... the ... other money" ?
And I think I may have misunderstood the meaning of "A different amount of".

I wonder what the exact meaning of that phrase is. Do I say it clearly?

Last edited:
  • Tunalagatta

English - England
    Hi splash :)

I'm afraid I'm a little confused by your question. Your context isn't very clear. Could you explain more about the text you are reading?

Another thing: what is the spelling of the word you are confused about: defferent, different, or deferent? (You have spelt it these 3 different ways in your question). Is the fact that the book is about accents relevant here?

splash_jony

China - Cantonese
    Hi Tunalagatta

I'm very sorry for my misspelling. I've already corrected it, but I can't fix the title any more.

In short I wonder what the meaning of "A different amount of". now I think I got it.

For example
    Let's suppose Mr. Someone was suspected of stealing some money.
    defense attorney asked me : "Did you see he steal the money ?"
    I replied :"Yep, I... I saw him stole some money."

prosecution attorney asked me "You mean he have stolen a different amount of money?"
    I replied "I didn't say he stole the money but rather other money."

Thank you Tunalagatta.

scrotgrot

English - English
    Amount refers to how much money was stolen, for instance if he was accused of stealing $500, but actually he stole a different amount of money, i.e. $1000 or $2 or $0.01 or whatever. I don't understand why your exercise book says otherwise and assume it must be an error. The correct answer would be I didn't say he stole that much money, but rather less/more/a different amount of money.

splash_jony

China - Cantonese
    Amount refers to how much money was stolen, for instance if he was accused of stealing $500, but actually he stole a different amount of money, i.e. $1000 or $2 or $0.01 or whatever. I don't understand why your exercise book says otherwise and assume it must be an error. The correct answer would be I didn't say he stole that much money, but rather less/more/a different amount of money.
    Thank you scrotgrot! Now I understand it completely.

< Previous | Next >