A different number of regional trade pacts?

项小政

Chinese
Here is a sentence from somebody's translation work which I fail to understand.
The sentence is:Nearly 90 percent of the WTO members have signed in with a different number of regional trade pacts.
"with a different number of",what does this supposes to mean?
Does it mean some countries signed in one pact while some signed in two or more pacts?

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hello.

"A different number of regional trade pacts" looks like some kind of error to me. I suspect that the translator meant "a number of different regional trade pacts." I think it means that each country signed one trade pact, but that there are several different trade pacts.

项小政

Chinese
    I think it means that each country signed one trade pact, but that there are several different trade pacts.
    Hi,:)
    I think you are right.
    But I guess the original work should be blamed too.Because a country is able to sign in more than one agreements.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Hi,:)
    I think you are right.
    But I guess the original work should be blamed too.Because a country is able to sign more than one agreements.
    In that case, it could mean that each country signed one or more agreements. I'm not sure that we need to blame anyone for anything.

项小政

Chinese
    After checking the original work,I have realized that author wanted to explain something like this:
    90% of the WTO members have signed in regional trade pacts. But the pacts are quite different from one another.They are of different levels.Some may include services while some involve tariff reduction for agriculture products.
    So I'm wondering whether this translation work fulfills the goal of translation.

owlman5

English-US
    I don't think a reader would get that idea from the original translation.

If I wanted to express that idea, I would write that ninety percent of the WTO members have signed a number of different trade pacts that vary widely in their details. Some phrase like that should be enough.

< Previous | Next >