a dignified gentleman

• liliput

U.K. English
    If I say John is a dignified gentleman, how should I describe him in other words? Is he noble or respected...etc?
    Both your suggestions are good. Alternative synonyms are "distinguished" and "honourable".

HunkiDori

Indonesia/English
    Both your suggestions are good. Alternative synonyms are "distinguished" and "honourable".
    I'm not sure if I agree with "distinguished." At least, to me, that implies that he's famous. I think it would work as a synonym in more detailed context, but if you're just saying "John is distinguished" then I get the idea that John is famous.

liliput

U.K. English
    I'm not sure if I agree with "distinguished." At least, to me, that implies that he's famous. I think it would work as a synonym in more detailed context, but if you're just saying "John is distinguished" then I get the idea that John is famous.
    I don't believe "distinguished" carries connotations of fame. It simply means that he stands out from the crowd in some way or has a quality that elevates him above others. I find it a very good substitute for "dignified".
    I suppose it's possible to be dignified without being respected, but noble, distinguished, honourable and dignified all have a similar sense.

< Previous | Next >