a dinner date with friends

< Previous | Next >

pasitoo

Spanish
Hello,

Does "dinner date" always mean a date with romantic partner? Can I use it for with ordinary friends? If so, there is another question: My friends and I have set a date for shopping, can I say "I have a shopping date in a week"? If "date" doesn't work for ordinary friends, what word do you use in your everyday conversation?

Thanks a lot!

• Joelline

American English
    Hi pasitoo,

"Dinner date" can certainly be used to describe a meeting with friends; however, the possibility of ambiguity is there. I usually say, "I have a dinner date with some friends" for the sake of clarity. I also have shopping dates!

mathman

English-American/New England
    Hello,

Does "dinner date" always mean a date with romantic partner? Can I use it for with ordinary friends? If so, there is another question: My friends and I have set a date for shopping, can I say "I have a shopping date in a week"? If "date" doesn't work for ordinary friends, what word do you use in your everyday conversation?

Thanks a lot!
    You can say "I have a dinner engagement," which would usually have no romantic connotations. Or, you could say "I'm meeting someone (or: some friends) for dinner."

< Previous | Next >