a discipline of greatest public projection

< Previous | Next >

kcip

Chinese
Hello! I have difficulty in understanding the following sentence:

On the heights of social theory, these bodies of thought commanded the terrain. In history, the other discipline of greatest public projection, the scene was much more varied ...
(source: The Old New World)

(This book is still torturing me ... :() I wonder the exact meaning of 'projection'. Does it mean 'the attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or suppositions to others' here? What does the author think of history on earth?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    (This book is still torturing me ... :()
    And me... It is appallingly pretentious and obscure. The book, by Perry Anderson, can be found HERE. If you ask more questions about the book, it will be helpful to include a link.

In the preceding paragraph, the author sees the theories of Habermas and others as important societal theories - or a projection (image) of the public (i.e. the social order). He then comments that there is another discipline (i.e. a subject that is studied) i.e. 'history' and that subject is also a subject which displays the social order to a very great extent.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Bravo, Paul. I was struggling towards that kind of interpretation, but got sidetracked by a video of the same title by Russian photographer and animator Alexey Zakharov, using photos of US cities from the early 1900s. Much more fun!

kcip

Chinese
    Thank you very much, Paul and Keith!!:D:):p
    And me... It is appallingly pretentious and obscure. The book, by Perry Anderson, can be found HERE. If you ask more questions about the book, it will be helpful to include a link.

In the preceding paragraph, the author sees the theories of Habermas and others as important societal theories - or a projection (image) of the public (i.e. the social order). He then comments that there is another discipline (i.e. a subject that is studied) i.e. 'history' and that subject is also a subject which displays the social order to a very great extent.
    I find your explanation a hundred times clearer than the original text.:D And I'm glad to share with you the comment on the exhausting nature of this book. (hug)

< Previous | Next >