a discussion is <binding>

Rossonero Boy

français
Dear friends,I've read the following sentence "In some cultures, a discussion on the phone is binding" what does "bidding" exactly mean in this case? Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    Hi

Binding probably means legally binding, creating an obligation or duty on the people involved. It would be useful if you could give us a little more context. Where have you found this sentence?

Last edited:

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Dear friends,

I've read the following sentence "In some cultures, a discussion on the phone is binding" what does "binding" exactly mean in this case? Thanks in advance for your help
    WR Dictionary "binding"
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/binding
    that must be obeyed;
    obligatory:a binding contract that he couldn't get out of.
    You're creating an agreement/contract that you must abide by. Some people will record conversations so they have proof of the binding contract.

Does that help better explain the word "binding", Rossonero Boy?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    In Britain a discussion on the phone may well be binding. For example: you phone for a taxi and ask the price to the airport. He tells you it will cost £20. This is a binding contract. He is now legally bound (= obliged) to charge you £20, no more, and you are legally bound to pay that if he takes you there.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    But I wouldn't say that the discussion is binding. What's binding is an oral contract concluded during the discussion.
    But that's circular: a contract is by definition binding. What is binding is the oral agreement reached between the parties during the discussion. I probably wouldn't have written the sample sentence as it stands, but, at the same time, where the discussion instantiates the agreement between the parties I don't think it a particularly great stretch to say that "a discussion on the phone is binding."

< Previous | Next >