a distant acquaintance of mine

< Previous | Next >

screenactorsguild

Vietnamese
Here is a sentence from my homework at school:
" Sean, a distant acquaintance of mine, has recently had his first novel accepted for publication (1)
a. I have a good friend named Sean who is a successful novelist (wrong)
b. Sean, a friend of mine, had his first novel published not long ago
c. The first novel of Sean's , whom I know only distantly, was agreed to be published a short time ago
d. Sean used his acquaintance with me to help him get his first novel published (wrong)
I chose b but wrong
My teacher chose c
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1645718
Even with the aid of this thread, I still don't know why can they chose that!
(I don't really understand (1)

• e2efour

UK English
    Accepted for publication does not mean published (=came out in print).
    The question is not about the difference between a short time ago and not long ago.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Yes, accepted for publication means that they are about to publish it. It will probably be published soon. Your sentence b. says it has already been published and this is, indeed, not what the original sentence says.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Even if you do not have the mark, you have my sympathy, screenactorsguild: although it contains all the information, c) is badly written. It sounds as if "whom" is the pronoun for "novel", which it can't be. Secondly, "whom" is referring back to a genitive, which, to all intents and purposes, is qualifying "novel" Sean's first novel. This gives the impression that "whom" is a pronoun for an adjective.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Paul; it is horribly written. In addition to what Paul says, "was agreed to be published" is totally ungrammatical. I assume your teacher has only a distant acquaintance with English. You would be well advised to find someone else from whom to learn the language, in my opinion.

< Previous | Next >