a doctor of kidney

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I have a friend who works in a hospital. She diagonoses people with kidney diseases like kidney stone, kidney failure, etc.

I wonder if I can say:

She's a doctor of kidney.

If I introduce her to someone else.

• You little ripper!

Australian English
    What Is a Nephrologist?

A nephrologist is a medical doctor who specializes in kidney care and treating diseases of the kidneys. The term nephrologist comes from the Greek word “nephros”, which means kidney or renal and “ologist” refers to someone who studies. Nephrologists are also called kidney doctors.

She's a nephrologist/kidney doctor.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a lot, YLP. I think native speakers tend to use the language in an easier way, so they avoid complext words. May I ask if you would say "She is a nephrologist" if you have a friend who's a kidney doctor, I don't think so. Nor do I think that AE or BE speakers would say so.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Thanks a lot, YLP. I think native speakers tend to use the language in an easier way, so they avoid complext words. May I ask if you would say "She is a nephrologist" if you have a friend who's a kidney doctor, I don't think so. Nor do I think that AE or BE speakers would say so.
    A lot of people here know what a nephrologist is, so I would use that term. If they look confused, I would explain or say "Kidney doctor".

< Previous | Next >