a document or pass to go out of school for some time

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sweetboat, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Sweetboat

Sweetboat Senior Member

Korean
    In our school, if students want to go out of school for some time during the day and come back to school, they have to ask their teachers to issue them a document or pass to prove that they got the permission. How do you say this kind of paper?

Suppose it is called 'AAA,' is the following conversation OK?

Student : Ms. Shin, I'd like to do some bank work at luchtime today.
    I need to send some money.
    Could you issue 'AAA' to me?
    Teacher : OK. Be back before the 5th period.

2. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    You could just call it a pass.
    Could you please issue an AAA to me?
    Could you please give me a pass to go out?

3. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    "A pass" is probably the best choice; an alternative is "permission slip," but that seems more appropriate for younger students.

4. Sweetboat

Sweetboat Senior Member

Korean

Thank you. Could I also say, 'Could you please issue a pass to go out to me?'

5. Sweetboat

Sweetboat Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you for your reply.

So is this dialog OK?

Student : Ms. Shin, I'd like to do some bank work at luchtime today.
    I need to send some money.
    Could you issue a pass to go out to me?
    Teacher : OK. Be back before the 5th period.

6. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    Who do you show this "pass" to? Who asks for it? Do policemen stop you on the street and say "Why aren't you in school? Where is your pass?"

I don't think this kind of document exists in the U.S. Inside the school itself we had "hall passes" that showed we were allowed to be out in the hallways instead of in class. But in most normal situations, even those were not required. You needed to have permission, but often did not need a "hall pass".

And you needed school approval to leave the school. But there were no documents used outside of the school.

Note that any student leaving the school would need to get approval from the main school office (the principal's office), not just from an individual teacher. In case of an emergency (if the parents phone the school), the main office needs to know where the student is.

7. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    I would use "Could you issue me a pass to go out?" Putting "to me" at the end is awkward.

"Bank work" is not what we would call it. "I'd like to do some banking" would work.

8. Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne Senior Member

English - U.S.
    I went to school in the eastern U.S. in the 1970's, and we most certainly needed a pass to be able to leave the school grounds. You showed it to the school secretary before you were allowed to go out the door, and could also be challenged to produce it if you encountered a member of the school staff while you were outside the building. We called them "pink slips" because of their color, but that was specific to my school. In general, getting a "pink slip" in AmE means you've been fired from your job.

9. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    Same experience here.

10. Sweetboat

Sweetboat Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you for your explanation.
    It's a Korean school.
    I suppose the situation is a little different from school to school even in Korea.
    But, in our school, teachers take turns standing at the school main gate to control students leaving the school grounds at lunchtime.
    Each student must show this guard teacher a pass from his or her homeroom teacher

11. Sweetboat

Sweetboat Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you very much for correcting the dialog.
    Thank you Hercules Grytpype-Thynne, too, for sharing your experience.