a dog fight all the way down & up-and-downs

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

Trump brought out the family of Sarah Root, an Iowa woman who was killed in a car crash by an immigrant in the country illegally.
Iowa Republican Party Chairman Jeff Kaufmann says Trump needs the support of the state's GOP leaders.
"I see this as a dog fight all the way down. I don't really see huge up-and-downs and every vote's gonna count," Kaufmann said.

(This comes from npr.org: Trump Promises Crackdown On Immigrants At Iowa 'Roast And Ride' Event on August 28, 2016.)

1. Does 'a dog fight all the way down' here mean an aerial battle goes down to the ground?
2. Does ‘up-and-downs’ here mean 'changeable'? That is, I don't see many changes?

Thanks in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, ironman.

1. Does 'a dog fight all the way down' here mean an aerial battle goes down to the ground?
    No. This should mean that the competition between the two candidates will be fierce until the day that everyone votes and the new president is elected.

2. Does ‘up-and-downs’ here mean 'changeable'? That is, I don't see many changes?
    Yes. As I see it, this is a way of saying that Kaufman doesn't believe that either candidate is going to lose or win many supporters in polls taken during the rest of the contest. Other members may interpret this remark differently. I don't find it terribly clear.

ironman2012

Chinese
    No. This should mean that the competition between the two candidates will be fierce until the day that everyone votes and the new president is elected.
    Thank you, but I'm still not clear about 'all the way down' here. Does 'all the way' here emphasizes a great distance? What does 'down' mean?

< Previous | Next >