a dog-handling unit was brought in to assist the hunt for ot

Discussion in 'English Only' started by VicNicSor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    make
    carry out, perform, or produce (a specified action or sound):
    Officers made one arrest and a dog-handling unit was brought in to assist the hunt for others.
    Oxforddictionaries

The part in bold means:
    A person with a dog was brought in to help other officers in the search of the rest of criminals.
    Am I right?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    What else do you think it could mean?
    However, I'm not sure that the dog-handling unit would like to be called "a person with a dog", even though it does consist of a police officer and a dog!

3. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    Probably the dog wouldn't like to be thought of as a "dog-handling unit," either, come to that.

4. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Thank you, all.

I had no idea what a dog-handling unit could mean. I just guessed it could be something like "a person with a dog".:D

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    It's usually a policeman or a soldier with a dog.

6. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    I would not think that "unit" here should be taken literally to mean there is only one "unit of man" and one "unit of dog". I would think of a "unit" more as a "team" consisting of several dogs and several handlers.

7. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    It's called a unit because it's a team consisting of two animals, one of them human, which use a vehicle for transport.
    We often see programmes on TV that feature the work of this unit as part of the police.

The wider definition given by Edinburgher refers to the section of the police force that consists of dog handlers and their dogs.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  8. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Thank you for the answers!

9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    This is the surprising truth: a dog handling unit is, more often than not, one man and a dog, plus, probably, a van. It is a piece of corporate (police) terminology.