A done deal

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I recently encountered this phrase, "(it's) a done deal". I would like to translate it to Chinese.

Context: in a discussion group, we were talking about burning fossil fuels. Someone said, "if there is even one drop of petroleum, we will extract it and burn it. It's a done deal". He expressed that it was not likely we would stop burning fossil fuels anytime soon.

I think "无可改变的事“ is a good translation for "it's a done deal". I would like to hear others' thoughts.

Thanks.

• albert_laosong

Mandarin
    Yes, it can be one of the translations, but depending on the context there might be other options, for example:
    The sale is far from a done deal. 这桩生意还远谈不上板上钉钉(可能还会有变故)。

Someone said, "if there is even one drop of petroleum, we will extract it and burn it. It's a done deal". He expressed that it was not likely we would stop burning fossil fuels anytime soon.
    I feel it might not be appropriate to use "it's a done deal here", because the sentence before it is not something that has been done and can't be changed, it's just a hypothesis.

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    Here, "It's a done deal" = "There's no question/doubt about it".

这是毫无疑问的/毋庸置疑的.

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    I don't. In the given context, 'it's a done deal' pertains to the plan to extract and burn the petroleum, not the extraction itself. It means the plan has been finalised and the decision is irrevocable.

albert_laosong

Mandarin
    I don't. In the given context, 'it's a done deal' pertains to the plan to extract and burn the petroleum, not the extraction itself. It means the plan has been finalised and the decision is irrevocable.
    I think that was a hypothesis, or a exaggeration to be precise, not a plan, actually the speaker should have used subjunctive mood. so it would be weird to say it's a done deal I think. But I think it would be ok to use "There's no question/doubt about it".

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    I'm just working with what we've been given, which is a straightforward conditional statement. It doesn't fall foul of any grammar rules, so I'd rather leave it unchanged and discuss it as-is. A hypothesis is an unsubstantiated theory or idea, which is not what I'm seeing here. I'd agree if the original sentence had been something such as 'The reddish colour of the soil here suggests there's petroleum underneath that we can extract and burn'. All I see is the speaker laying out the steps to take if there is petroleum to be had.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    This is my interpretation:
    We'll extract and burn oil to the last drop that we can find. It's something that has been decided (by the mass public, especially people in energy and transportation industries). Because the "decision" in this context concerns some future action (現在找得到的,不久的將來都會被開採燃燒掉), it may be described as "plan" (see Brofeelgood's #5). In other words, there's an unspoken collective decision (or plan) to extract and burn oil to the last drop that we can find.

A done deal = something that has been decided
    定局 = 已被決定的形勢、局面
    It's a done deal. 這是定局。(會把找到的石油開採燃燒盡--這是個定局。 要改變這個定局需花很長的時間,所以,"it's not likely we'll stop burning fossil fuels anytime soon.")
    无可改变的事
    應是「難以改變的事」,否則就不會提到 "It's not likely we'll stop anytime soon"--暗示以後有可能改變。

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >