a door+accident

slovac

He noticed that I hit him by the door. (He was sober)
He got angry because I had hit him by the door.

Could I ask? I made two situations in my head which relate with a door. Could I ask about whether native speakers would use the past simple in the first case and the past perfect in the second case?

Thank you

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    What does "I hit him by the door" mean? Do you mean you punched him while he was standing near the door?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I used the door.
    ???

I think you mean "I hit him with the door."

What kind of action are you describing here? I only ask because I can't think of a situation when I would get hit with a door and not​ notice. And when does he notice?

slovac

???

I think you mean "I hit him with the door."

What kind of action are you describing here? I only ask because I can't think of a situation when I would get hit with a door and not​ notice. And when does he notice?
    I hit him weakly.
    It is as when a mosquito bites you - sometimes you notices it, sometimes not

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Hit" seems too violent a verb for someone not to notice. What kind of scenario are you describing?

And I have to say I'm confused about your question. I think one problem is that your choice of verb is distracting, because it doesn't make sense in English. What do you want to know about the tenses that you mention in the first post?

Myridon

English - US
    But we can't judge whether or not they're used correctly in sentences that don't make sense.
    Not only are the sentences unclear, but since "hit" is "hit-hit-have hit" rather than "sit-sat-have sat," we can't even be sure which tense you're using in the first sentence. I habitually hit you with the door (present tense), or I hit you with the door yesterday (past tense).

< Previous | Next >