A doubt about "get it"

< Previous | Next >

Lorenzo98

Italian
Good morning everyone
I'm an Italian student and I started writing a diary in order to overcome my grammar problems and improve my skills. I suddenly got stuck while writing "my mother always makes my bed. I can't get my blankets to have any wrinkles" I know the second sentence is a mess but I don't know how to write it. Can anyone suggest me a better way to write it ? Thanks for your help

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    First, we need to understand what you want to say. I can think of 2 possibilities:

1. Because you are used to having a perfectly made bed, if your blanket has any wrinkles, that upsets you.

Here "get" can't be used. For meaning 1 you could say:

"I can't stand it if my blankets have any wrinkles."
    "I can't stand for my blankets to have any wrinkles."
    "It upsets me if my blankets have any wrinkles."

2. When you try to make the bed yourself, you can't make the blanket have no wrinkles. Here the expression is "I can't get the blankets to have no wrinkles".

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I think "wrinkles" is a little odd. In talking about a well-made bed, I think I'd say:
    I can't get the blankets to lie flat/ to lie smoothly.
    I can't smoooth out the blankets.

Lorenzo98

Italian
    First, we need to understand what you want to say. I can think of 2 possibilities:

1. Because you are used to having a perfectly made bed, if your blanket has any wrinkles, that upsets you.

Here "get" can't be used. For meaning 1 you could say:

"I can't stand it if my blankets have any wrinkles."
    "I can't stand for my blankets to have any wrinkles."
    "It upsets me if my blankets have any wrinkles."

2. When you try to make the bed yourself, you can't make the blanket have no wrinkles. Here the expression is "I can't get the blankets to have no wrinkles".
    Thank you so much, you helped me solve this grammar doubt

< Previous | Next >