A doubtful debtor/A debtor in arrears/Bad payers?

< Previous | Next >

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
What do you call a person who fails to pay what they owe?

Imagine you have a mortgage or a loan and you get into arrears with the payments. Is there an expression to refer to people who are in such situation?

I guess there's a technical word and a colloquial one.

Cheers :D

• kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    Thanks Kevin Beach!!

I also found the verb to default on something, e.g.: If you default on your payments the bank will be force to repossess your car

Cheers

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    I've heard the term delinquent in American English. I didn't know it was used colloquially.

Thanks a lot!!!

FromPA

USA English
    The concept of delinquent debt doesn't come up much in colloquial speech outside of the business environment, so the only terms you'll hear (that are not derogatory) are the ones used in business. The only colloquial, non-business terms I can think of are all derogatory - e.g., deadbeat. In the US, we use the term "default" to refer to accounts for which a determination has been made that the only way to settle the debt is through legal action, which usually occurs after the account is 60-90 days past due (technically speaking, any missed payment constitutes a default, but, in practice, the account is not classifed as "in default" until legal action is determined to be necessary). When referring to the debtor in a business setting, the terms used are past due/delinquent account/borrower. If your referring to your neighbor, you might say "he's behind on his debts," but I can't think of a noun for the debtor himself.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >