a drink taken / a drink having taken straight

Discussion in 'English Only' started by e174043, Jun 7, 2010.

1. e174043

e174043 Senior Member

Ankara-Turkey(Türkiye)
    Turkish,Azerbaijani
    Adding sugar to a drink having taken/ taken straight from a microwave oven can trigger
    an eruption of boiling liquid. The cause of such incident is uneven heating by microwaves,
    which leads to some parts of the liquid being superheated beyond its boiling point. If just
    a few grains of sugar are then added to this unstable mix, they act as nucleation sites for
    bubbles. It's / They are these bubbles that bring about explosive violence.

I think "having taken" is correct for the fist one because I think there is a time difference
    between taking straight the drink and adding sugar and firstly taking straight drink occurs ;
    and "they are" is correct for the second one. But I don't know why I have chosen "they are"
    for this:). instinctively:)

2. Your instincts are wrong, I'm afraid.

'Adding sugar to a drink taken straight from a microwave...' and

'It's these bubbles...' are correct.

Rover

3. e174043

e174043 Senior Member

Ankara-Turkey(Türkiye)
    Turkish,Azerbaijani
    Why,? I can also see the correct answer from the answer key. But I don't understand why it is.

Thanks in advance

4. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    "Adding sugar to a drink (which has been) taken straight from a microwave."

The past participle is used adjectively here. The relative pronoun and the present perfect passive verb form auxilaries ( which has been) are omitted.

"This is the photo taken on my birthday" Here the relative clause would be "which was taken".

"The police recovered all the goods stolen from my house." "which had been stolen".

This is a very common construction.

Hermione

5. e174043

e174043 Senior Member

Ankara-Turkey(Türkiye)
    Turkish,Azerbaijani
    I learnt that the reduction of the past perfect passive and the present perfect passive are "having been V3". I mean,
    ""This is the photo taken on my birthday" is "This is the photo which was taken on my birthday".
    But;
    "The police rovered all the goods stolen from my house" is not "The police recovered all the goods which had been stolen from my house." It is "The police recovered all the goods which was stolen from my house".
    The reduction of had been stolen is "having been stolen" , "said my teacher.

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Sorry, e174043.

The reduction of The police recovered all the goods which had been stolen from my house is The police recovered all the goods stolen from my house.

Perhaps you misunderstood your teacher :(.

7. e174043

e174043 Senior Member

Ankara-Turkey(Türkiye)
    Turkish,Azerbaijani
    You're right Loob. I misuderstood. I confused this with the reduction of adverb clauses. I mean,
    Having eaten his breakfast, he went to school.
    After eating his breakfast, he went to school.
    After he ate his breakfast, he went to school.