a drop in the ocean /sea ?

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by cas29, Apr 21, 2008.

1. cas29

cas29 Senior Member

Milan Italy
    Canada/English
    My friends and I have been comparing how different cultures express this concept. " A drop in the ocean"

Our survey of friends and colleagues has shown that
    Canadians, Brits, Americans and French speakers (from France, Canada and Belgium) all say a drop in the "ocean" whereas Italians say a drop in the "sea".

We are curious as to what the Greek version would be.
    Can anyone help us in our little quest?

Please and thank you!

2. balgior Senior Member

Greece/Greek
    Hello cas29! Interesting survey! :)

Well, in Greece we say "σταγόνα στον ωκεανό" (stagona ston okeano), which means... "A drop in the ocean"!

So, +1 for "ocean"! :)

3. cas29

cas29 Senior Member

Milan Italy
    Canada/English
    Thanks very much Balgior!

It is interesting for me to see that ocean has a "k" in Greek -rather than a soft "c" sound.

I'll pass on the news to my chums.

4. mroma Senior Member

Greece-greek
    Balgior is right, in greek I´ve never heard saying ¨σταγόνα στη θάλασσα¨ that means a drop in the sea, it´s always ¨σταγόνα στον ωκεανό¨, that means a drop in the ocean.

5. cas29

cas29 Senior Member

Milan Italy
    Canada/English
    Thanks for the extra confirmation mroma!

6. Piaoletta Member

Siena
    Italian
    I know a song of The british group "Kula Shaker"...well they say a drop in the sea...

How can i interpret that sentence?

7. orthophron Senior Member

Greek
    Hi! I guess that "κ" of κόσμος (cosmos) would not surprise you, would it? :)
    Well, if you're looking for some sort of "similarities" I can say that, as in English -ce- -ci-, unlike –ca- -co-, are pronounced "softly" as you say, in Greek also "κ" in -κε- -κι-, is pronounced differently (palatalized: -kjE- -kjI-) to that in –κα- -κο- and at times (regionally) sounds like english "ch" (as in chip) or like italian "c" (as in oceano).

Happy time