a drop in the ocean /sea ?

cas29

Canada/English
My friends and I have been comparing how different cultures express this concept. " A drop in the ocean"

Our survey of friends and colleagues has shown that
Canadians, Brits, Americans and French speakers (from France, Canada and Belgium) all say a drop in the "ocean" whereas Italians say a drop in the "sea".

We are curious as to what the Greek version would be.
Can anyone help us in our little quest?

Please and thank you!

• balgior

Greece/Greek
    Hello cas29! Interesting survey! :)

Well, in Greece we say "σταγόνα στον ωκεανό" (stagona ston okeano), which means... "A drop in the ocean"!

So, +1 for "ocean"! :)

cas29

Canada/English
    Thanks very much Balgior!

It is interesting for me to see that ocean has a "k" in Greek -rather than a soft "c" sound.

I'll pass on the news to my chums.

mroma

Greece-greek
    Balgior is right, in greek I´ve never heard saying ¨σταγόνα στη θάλασσα¨ that means a drop in the sea, it´s always ¨σταγόνα στον ωκεανό¨, that means a drop in the ocean.

orthophron

Greek
    It is interesting for me to see that ocean has a "k" in Greek -rather than a soft "c" sound.
    Hi! I guess that "κ" of κόσμος (cosmos) would not surprise you, would it? :)
    Well, if you're looking for some sort of "similarities" I can say that, as in English -ce- -ci-, unlike –ca- -co-, are pronounced "softly" as you say, in Greek also "κ" in -κε- -κι-, is pronounced differently (palatalized: -kjE- -kjI-) to that in –κα- -κο- and at times (regionally) sounds like english "ch" (as in chip) or like italian "c" (as in oceano).

Happy time

< Previous | Next >