A&E and ICU

Discussion in 'English Only' started by apoziopeza, May 10, 2017.

  1. apoziopeza Senior Member


    Please advise, what is the name of the document based on which GP refers you to a specialist/special treatmet/inpatient treatment?

    It can be, e.g., request for examination by xx. This is a unit with most complicated/emergency cases for patients after surgery (in Slovakia, there is one nurse per one patient, sitting nonstop next to him and watching his health state). After about a week, these patients are moved to a less emergency unit (less expensive unit, there is usually one or two nurses but outside the room, they watch health state of patients on a regular basis and check e.g. heartbeat on monitor which is not inside the room but in a special room with monitors for all rooms).

    How would you differentiate these units? 1. A&E and 2. ICU?

    I have found the following options - A&E, the department of anesthesiology and resuscitation, ICU (Intensive Care Unit),

    Department of Anaesthesia & Intensive Care , Emergency Room (ER)


  2. heypresto

    heypresto Senior Member

    South East England
    English - England
    In the UK, A & E stands for Accident and Emergency, which is the equivalent of ER in the US.

    I don't understand how A&E can stand for 'department of Anaesthesiology and Resuscitation'. Where did you see that?
  3. GreenWhiteBlue

    GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

    The City of New York
    USA - English
    Why are you asking this question again when you were already given the answer in this thread?
  4. apoziopeza Senior Member

    Thanks. 'Anaesthesiology and Resuscitation Department is literal translation of ARO.
  5. DonnyB

    DonnyB Sixties Mod

    Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I can only answer this on the basis of what happens in UK hospitals.

    1. A&E (Accident and Emergency) deal, as the name implies, with treatment following accidents and emergency admissions to hospital. The patients can either go there themselves if they're able to, or be taken there by ambulance.

    2. ICU (Intensive Care Unit) is the special unit within the hospital where critically ill patients are treated. The actual procedures used vary, but a common feature is the constant monitoring of the patient's condition.

    That's what the terms mean: I suspect that a detailed explanation of how they work in different countries is a bit beyond the scope of a language forum.
  6. Linkway Senior Member

    British English
    In the UK, many A&E patients are walking, talking (and sometimes singing or shouting!) and definitely NOT necessarily needing an ICU (Intensive Care Unit) .

    Most A&E patients are treated there in the A&E department; only seriously ill patients who need urgent attention, especially life-saving attention, are transferred to an ICU.

    Patients in an ICU are bed-ridden, probably on some kind of drip, pain-relief, needing constant monitoring of heart and breathing, etc. ie seriously ill.

    As Donny, says: "critically ill".

Share This Page