a escala > in/on/to scale

Ella 123

Español de España
Hi, everybody!

I was looking up what preposition is used with the word "scale" to mean "a escala". For example: Es una reproducción a escala.

I've found that - in this particular case - most people prefer "to scale" but that there also exists other possibilities - "in" and "on" - depending on the meaning, such as:

global/national in scale - a escala global/internacional
on a large/small scale - en gran/pequeña escala
on a massive scale - a gran escala

I don't know if the usage of "on" derives from the presence of the undefinite article or sth like that. May anybody please throw some light on this confusing issue and explain if there's any rule to find out which preposition suits what situation?

Thanks in advance! Waiting for your answer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi, Ella!

I was looking up what preposition is used with the word "scale" to mean "a escala". For example: Es una reproducción a escala.

It is a reproduction to scale.
    It is a "to scale" reproduction.
    In this context "to scale" is fixed.

I've found that - in this particular case - most people prefer "to scale" but that there also exists other possibilities - "in" and "on" - depending on the meaning, such as:

global/national in scale - a escala global/internacional
    This one doesn't sound right to me, I'd have to see the whole sentence.

on a large/small scale - en gran/pequeña escala
    on a massive scale - a gran escala
    General structure is:
    on a (X) scale - The use of "scale" hear is subtely different - it's more "size", as opposed to "scale" above, where it means a relationship between sizes.

Ella 123

Español de España
    Hi, TimLA! Thank you very much for your help! It's been a really useful answer for me, though I've read it late. At the end I opted for: a scale copy.

P.S.: There was no context for the on/in scale sentences, they were just examples from the dictionary. Thanks again!

Ella 123

< Previous | Next >